Thursday, July 22, 2010

Hire me please!

So I have some news - after all my ranting and raving about applying to jobs, I'm finally starting to get called for interviews! A few aren't at libraries, or even library related, but I don't care. I've learned a lot of transferable skills during this year, mainly about how to navigate databases and how to stay organized, so I would love to apply these skills in a corporate setting if necessary. However, I just had a second interview for a job today at an insurance company looking for an archivist. I figured I would apply, even though I have taken no archiving classes and it's not something I ever thought I would be interested in. Turns out that I know NOTHING about archiving, even less than I thought, which became painfully obvious during the course of the interview. But who knows? Maybe they haven't gotten many applicants with ANY library experience, after all why in the world would I be called for a second interview? I don't think it is necessarily the best fit for me, but at this point I can't be picky.

I am extremely excited about another interview though, at a public library in a very affluent town that borders mine. It's seriously the cutest place ever and minutes from my house, and it has small enough staff where I think it might actually be fun (i.e., not stressful) to work there. It might be just perfect. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, I'm sure there are many qualified applicants. But it's nice to have an interview lined up for a real-live professional librarian job! It's starting to sink in that I'm getting released into the real world soon - a scary thought, but amazing nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment