Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Word of Advice

I finally had the opportunity to read through some of my fellow classmates blog posts (it's been a slow day at work) and I noticed that a few of you seem very nervous, overwhelmed, and frustrated about the program at this point. I'm not sure if any of you will actually read this since you have so many other things to worry about, and that's okay. But if one of you happens to stumble upon my blog... READ THIS POST, even if you don't read any of the others.

I know that the MLIS program here at Pitt can seem like it takes up all of your time, especially if you're not used to the work load of grad school - trust me I've been there. I started the program immediately after receiving my Bachelor's, and I felt so burnt out on school before anything even began. To top it all off, I moved here from Connecticut right at the end of August, leaving behind most of my support system and trying to figure out life in a new city in less than a week. Luckily, I had two friends here, so that made the transition a little easier, but moving is ALWAYS hard. Any of you new students that have come from far away lands, I feel you.

The biggest piece of advice I can give to you is to RELAX. I know that sounds incredibly cliche and you're probably saying to yourself "Okay lady, I have so much to do, I'll never get it done, shut-up and let me freak out about it!" Take it from someone who is probably one of the biggest worry warts in the world: it's a waste of your time. You WILL get it done. The most important thing that I've learned during my time here is how to prioritize tasks and manage my time effectively. It will take a little bit of practice to get into that routine, but it will happen. Just trust in yourselves - you are all obviously organized and intelligent enough to get into this program, and what's even better is that the professors here know that. They aren't out to get you, they aren't going to fail you if you mess up one little thing. They are understanding, they know that the material can seem abstract or confusing at times, and they appreciate any solid effort that you put forth. If you really feel like you're falling behind, talk to a professor you really like or your advisor, and just let them know what's going on. They will appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns and will definitely be able to give you peace of mind.

If anyone needs some personalized advice, feel free to email me at jenlvn@gmail.com. I am living proof that you can do well in graduate school AND have a life. I'm about to graduate this term and I've managed to make it through with (most) of my sanity in tact. :) Of course, this blog is a great place to vent, so I will probably have some public freak out moments myself. If this happens to you, it's okay to let yourself get frustrated for a minute, but don't let it consume you. Organize your thoughts and then move on. Remind yourself that you have what it takes. Give yourself plenty of opportunities to do something fun, go out with friends, or take your mind off of school for a little while. You'll feel better the next time you sit down to do something productive. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment