Sunday, June 27, 2010

ALA reports on the Library's Role in Technology

While I wasn't one of the many MLIS students trekking to D.C. this weekend for ALA Annual, I had to check out the agenda to see what I was missing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/larra-clark/ala-conference-this-week_b_625950.html

This article focuses on a report that outlines many of roles that libraries fill when it comes to providing technology to the community. I think it's important to remember that information professionals have a very crucial role in educating the public about technology, especially when that technology is something the library utilizes itself. There are many people who are not digital natives, and I think it's a great idea to have digital literacy classes available for those who wish to become a little more tech-savvy. The library is the perfect place for seminars like these to take place, as they can reach the most amount of people and are usually free.

No comments:

Post a Comment